Chris and I are a married couple of DINKS (Double Income No Kids) in our early 30’s. We live near Dallas, Texas but are originally from Los Angeles, California. This was our 5th cruise and 4th cruise in the last 2 years. We have sailed Disney twice, Royal Caribbean once, and Princess once but this was our first NCL cruise.
We visited Hawaii from November 24-December 5, 2010. Our trip consisted of 3 nights on Waikiki Beach in Oahu, 7 nights on Norwegian Cruise Line’s Pride of America visiting Maui, Island of Hawaii, and Kauai, and returning to Oahu for 1 night.
My DETAILED trip report with photos:
- Hawaii 2010: Day 1 - Outrigger Waikiki & Sushi Sasabune (Oahu)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 2 - Grand Circle Island Tour (Oahu)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 3 - Dolphin Encounter, Polynesian Cultural Center (Oahu)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 4 - Iolani Palace, Chinatown (Oahu)
- Hawaii 2010: Pride of America Review
- Hawaii 2010: Day 5 - Haleakala, Iao Valley, Old Lahaina Luau (Maui)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 6 - Road to Hana (Maui)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 7 - Volcanoes National Park, Rainbow Falls (Hilo, Big Island)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 8 – Body Glove Snorkel (Kona)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 9 - Waimea Canyon, Glass Beach, Poipu (Kauai)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 10 – Helicopter Tour, Napali Coast (Kauai)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 11 – Waikiki Beach (Oahu)
- Hawaii 2010: Day 12 - Pearl Harbor (Oahu)
I am an obsessive trip planner and detailed-oriented. These were the resources that helped make my trip a success:
+ Guide Books: I HIGHLY recommend the Hawaii Revealed series of guidebooks by Andrew Doughty:
These books were the backbone of the planning for this trip! You have to use some common sense if you follow the advice in the books though. (For example, I don’t recommend you follow the advice where it says to ignore trespassing signs.) But for the most part, the books tell you about some hidden gems you might otherwise miss! I also used Frommer’s Hawaii but definitely recommend the “Revealed” series over it.
+ Cruise Critic Hawaii Forum: The folks on the Hawaii Forum are SO helpful. I read the forum daily while planning my trip!
We loved this cruise so much that we did it again in 2011 when my sister decided to get married on Maui! We truly believe it is the BEST way to see the most of Hawaii in one trip.